From Kook Science
The Juniper Giant are alleged giant skeletal remains that Peter Marx (1846-1922), a Prussian-born rancher, claimed that he had discovered on the grounds of his ranch near Walnut Creek (and Juniper) in Yavapai County, Arizona following a flooding in the summer of 1911.
- "SKELETON OF GIANT UNEARTHED AT JUNIPER; Rancher Discovers Remains of Man One-Third larger than human Beings of Our Race.", Arizona Republican (Phoenix, AZ): 6, 24 July 1911, https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn84020558/1911-07-24/ed-1/seq-6
Was Arizona once inhabited by a race of Giants? Were the deserts peopled by titanic monsters of human intelligence before the coming of the mound builders? — or was the skeleton discovered at Juniper by Peter Marx of Juniper that of a man whose huge body made him a Goliath among a race of ordinary mortals?
What will be generally acknowledged to be one of the most wonderful and important discoveries of prehistoric life that has ever been made in the United States has been reported from Juniper, and the testimony of the original discoverer is corroborate by responsible witnesses who have seen the skeleton in the possession of Mr. Marx.
He discovered it by accident on his farm early in the week, and when asked to give a description of the skeleton, he gave the following interesting account:
"The bones of this monstrous Indian man may have represented a race of men or a single individual. At any rate, the skeleton of the man in my possession, is sufficiently complete so that the dimensions, which are astounding, may be accurately ascertained and so far as the present generation is to be considered from what can learn, there is no comparison to be formed. In the first place the skull is of such an abnormal size that if the average man of this day placed it over his head, he still could find room to move it backwards and forwards or up and down with ease, without disturbing its natural position. From measurements taken of this skull, a number 10 hat would be required to fit it. The teeth, several of which are still imbedded in the jawbone, substantiate the immense size of the head. They are fully one third larger than those of the men of today and present more the appearance of tusks than of molars of the human family. Other dimensions of the head reveal similar evidences in harmony with the above. As to the bones, there is no disputing the fact that the owner was symmetrically formed, of immense size and herculean strength. The thigh and lower limbs indicate at least twice the size of the average man of today.
"I made the discovery by mere accident. My attention some weeks ago was directed to that part of the farm by flood waters passing through, cutting a ditch. A few bones were found on the surface, but my impression at the time was centered in the belief that they were those of some animal that had been killed. I dug into the bank that was exposed by the rushing waters, and when a distance of about three feet in depth had been reached, the skull was found. The bones that were strewn around for a few feet, with those found in the ground, were put together with the above result. The skeleton is only partially complete, but there is enough in evidence to show that it was that of a giant.
"After making this discovery, my observations were continued, when metallic arrowheads and spears, stone hooks to hold garments together, a plumb bob of stone, two inches in diameter and tapering to a point, stone axes and butcher knives, pottery of modern and primitive manufacture and other articles were dug up. Near by was evidently on old fort. The walls were built of immense boulders, indicating that persons of great strength performed the work.
"I have been the owner of that tract of land for over forty-one years and have resided there continuously. That section of the farm has never been cultivated to my knowledge or that of any one else in that country. No other human frame has been found, although I intend to continue digging. The relic will be kept in my possession, as I consider it a great curiosity. Mr. Clark has seen the skeleton, visiting the valley after I made the discovery."
- "SKELETON OF GIANT FOUND AT JUNIPER", Weekly Journal Miner (Prescott, AZ): 6, 26 July 1911, https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn85032923/1911-07-26/ed-1/seq-6/
- "MARX IS PEEVED AT PEOPLE'S SCOFFING", Arizona Republican (Phoenix, AZ): 4, 10 September 1911, https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn84020558/1911-09-10/ed-1/seq-4/
- "FINDS RELICS OF PREHISTORIC PEOPLE", Weekly Journal Miner (Prescott, AZ): 6, 13 Sept. 1911, https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn85032923/1911-09-13/ed-1/seq-6/
- "REFUSES TO SELL SKELETON OF GIANT", Weekly Journal Miner (Prescott, AZ): 7, 18 Oct. 1911, https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn85032923/1911-10-18/ed-1/seq-7/
- "ANCIENT BURYING GROUND UNCOVERED; Skeletons Found Indicate That Race Of Giants Once Lives on Banks Of Sycamore Creek", Weekly Journal Miner (Prescott, AZ): 5, 12 Feb. 1913, https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn85032923/1913-02-12/ed-1/seq-5/