Cyrus Teed (Koresh)
From Kook Science
|Cyrus Teed (Koresh)|
As pictured in "The Cellular Cosmogony" (1905)
|Alias(es)||Koresh; "The Messenger CYRUS"; "The Shepherd from Joseph"; "CYRUS, the son of Jesse"|
|Born||18 October 1839|
Tompkins, New York
|Died||22 December 1908 (69) |
|Burial||Koreshan Cemetery #1, Estero, Florida — Koresh's "tomb was washed away in the hurricane of 1910 and no longer exists"|
|Occupation(s)||Physician, religious teacher|
|Known for||Koreshan Universology, Concave Hollow Earth theory|
Cyrus Reed Teed (October 18, 1839 - December 22, 1908) was an American physician and religious leader, commonly known by his adopted name Koresh (from the Hebrew כורש for Cyrus), for which his teachings, Koreshanity, are named. Among other things, Koresh claimed to be the reincarnation of the prophet Elijah and taught that the Earth was a concave surface that spread out around the universe, encircling the cosmos within like a shell.
- Koresh (1902), The Immortal Manhood: The Laws and Processes of Its Attainment in the Flesh, https://archive.org/details/immortalmanhood00koregoog
- Koresh; Morrow, U.G. (1905), The Cellular Cosmogony, or, The Earth A Concave Sphere: Part I, The Universology of Koreshanity (with Addendum: "Astronomy's False Foundation"); Part II, The New Geodesy, Estero, Florida: The Guiding Light Publishing House, https://archive.org/details/cellularcosmogo01morrgoog
Koresh also acted as an editor of The Flaming Sword, a newsletter for devotees of Koreshanity (Koreshan Universology).
- Rahn, Claude (1963), A Brief Outline of the Life of Dr. Cyrus R. Teed (Koresh) and of the Koreshan Unity, Estero, Lee County, Florida, https://koreshan.mwweb.org/virtual_exhibit/vex3/a%20brief%20outline%20of%20cyrus%20teed_by%20claude%20rahn.pdf
- Winsboro, Irvin D. S.; Routh, Donald K. (2008), "Utopia's Healing Messiah: Dr. Cyrus R. Teed of Chicago and the National Mind-Cure Movement", Journal of Illinois History 11: 74-94, https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uiug.30112103938319&view=1up&seq=84
- Millner, Lyn (2015), The Allure of Immortality: An American Cult, a Florida Swamp, and a Renegade Prophet, University Press of Florida, https://www.amazon.com/Allure-Immortality-American-Florida-Renegade/dp/0813061237/?tag=apopheniacs-20
- "Florida Deaths, 1877-1939," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FPSP-GWY : 24 December 2014), Teed, 22 Dec 1908; citing Lee, Florida, reference cn229; FHL microfilm 2,116,943.
- "Find A Grave Index," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVKV-LNCL : 13 December 2015), Cyrus Read Teed, 1908; Burial, , Lee, Florida, United States of America, Koreshan Cemetery #1; citing record ID 48112733, Find a Grave, http://www.findagrave.com.