Jeremiah N. Reynolds
From Kook Science
|Jeremiah N. Reynolds|
Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
|Died||25 August 1858 (59)|
|Alma mater||Ohio University|
|Known for||Literary work, advocacy of polar expeditions, hollow earth theories|
Jeremiah N. Reynolds (1799 - 1858) was an American journalist and scientist, a strong advocate of oceanic and polar exploration (particularly rallying support for the United States Exploring Expedition of 1838-1842), and a sometime promoter of John Cleves Symmes's Hollow Earth theory, having participated in an 1829 expedition to the South Pole aboard the ship Annawan in search of evidence of a polar opening.
- Reynolds, Jeremiah N. (1827), Remarks on a Review of Symmes' Theory Which Appeared in the American Quarterly Review, Washington, D.C.: Gales & Seaton, https://hatch.kookscience.com/wiki/File:Reynolds_-_1827_-_Remarks_on_a_Review_of_Symmes%27_Theory.pdf
- Reynolds, Jeremiah N. (1828), Explore the Southern Polar Regions, Washington, D.C.
- Reynolds, Jeremiah N. (1835), Voyage of the United States Frigate Potomac, Under the Command of Commodore John Downes, During the Circumnavigation of the Globe in 1831, 1832, 1833, and 1834, New York: Harper & Brothers, https://archive.org/details/voyageunitedsta01reyngoog
- Reynolds, Jeremiah N. (1835), Pacific Ocean and South Seas: Letter from the Secretary of the Navy, Transmitting a Report of J.N. Reynolds, Washington, D.C.
- Reynolds, Jeremiah N. (1836), Address on the Subject of a Surveying and Exploring Expedition to the Pacific Ocean, New York: Harper & Brothers, https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/001473305
- Reynolds, Jeremiah N. (1838), Exploring Expedition, Correspondence between J. N. Reynolds and the Hon. Mahlon Dickerson, New York, https://archive.org/details/exploringexpedit00reynrich
- Reynolds, Jeremiah N. (1841), Pacific And Indian Oceans: Or the South Sea Surveying and Exploring Expedition: Its Inception, Progress, And Objects, New York: Harper & Brothers, https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/007938441
- Reynolds, Jeremiah N. (1870), Mocha Dick: Or The White Whale of the Pacific: A Leaf from a Manuscript Journal, London & Glasgow: Cameron & Ferguson
- Howe, Henry (1907), "The Romantic History of Jeremiah N. Reynolds", Historical Collections of Ohio: An Encyclopedia of the State, 1, Cincinnati, Ohio: The State of Ohio, C. J. Krehbiel & Co., p. 431-433, https://archive.org/stream/historicalcollec01inhowe#page/430/mode/2up
- McDonald, Gerald D. (1962), "Reynolds, Jeremiah N. (1799-1858)", in Coyle, William, Ohio Authors And Their Books: Biographical Data And Selective Bibliographies for Ohio Authors, Native And Resident, 1796-1950, Cleveland: World Pub. Co., p. 523-525, https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uiuo.ark:/13960/t5bc50s65;view=1up;seq=553