From Kook Science
|Born||Smbat Abian (Սմբատ Աբիան)|
1 January 1923 
Tabriz, East Azerbaijan, Iran
|Died||24 July 1999 (76) |
|Burial||Ames Municipal Cemetery|
|Alma mater||University of Chicago, M.A.; University of Cincinnati (1956), Ph.D. |
|Workplace(s)||Iowa State University|
Alexander Abian (January 1, 1923 - July 24, 1999), also known as Smbat Abian, was an Iranian-American mathematician of Armenian descent who served as a faculty professor of mathematics at Iowa State University, popularly known for his advocacy of altering the Earth's orbit (by destroying the Moon using nuclear weapons) for the benefit of humanity, and for his "Big Suck" Theory of cosmic origins.
Smbat Abian was born in January 1923 at Tabriz, East Azerbaijan, Iran. After completing his schooling and earning an undergraduate degree in Iran, Abian emigrated to the United States in 1952, where he completed a master's degree at the University of Chicago and a Ph.D. at the University of Cincinnati (for his dissertation, "Invariants and Covariants of Systems of Linear Differential and Integro-Differential Equations"). Through the course of his career in mathematics, Abian authored three books and published over two hundred papers.
Radical Cosmism and the Moonless Earth
- "ALTER EARTH'S ORBIT AND TILT - STOP GLOBAL DISASTERS AND EPIDEMICS. ALTER THE SOLAR SYSTEM. REORBIT VENUS INTO A NEAR EARTH-LIKE ORBIT TO CREATE A BORN AGAIN EARTH (1990)."
In the early 1990s, a short while prior to his retirement from the Iowa State University, Abian began publicly speaking out about his theories on means of improving the conditions of earth, in particular advocating for the re-engineering of the solar system, calling the current gravitational alignment of the planets "perverse, peevish and criminal." One means of such improvement, Abian proposed, was to detonate nuclear weapons inside the Moon, which would, by his reckoning, obliterate it, and cause the axis of the Earth to shift in such a way that all the inhabited areas will receive equal solar coverage, and that removing the Moon's gravitational influence would radically improve the planetary climate.
Abian's theories were met with minor media attention, and most reactions were of a skeptical nature.
- Donovan, Dick (1991-04-16), "Iowa professor's bizarre plan to turn Earth into Garden of Eden: BLOW THE MOON TO SMITHEREENS!", Weekly World News 12 (26): 4-5, http://books.google.com/books?id=wvQDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA4
- Abian, Alexander (1998-08-31), JOLT THE MOON TO JOLT THE EARTH INTO A RATIONAL ORBIT, mathforum.org, http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=140661
- Abian, Alexander, Not Surrendering to Natural Selection, math.iastate.edu, https://web.archive.org/web/20000613104434/http://www.math.iastate.edu/abian/notsurrender.html
The "Big Suck" Theory
- Abian, Alexander, The Equivalence of Mass and Time, math.iastate.edu, https://web.archive.org/web/19970603233257/http://www.math.iastate.edu/abian/masstime/masstime.html
- Abian, Alexander (1965), The Theory of Sets and Transfinite Arithmetic, Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Co.
- Abian, Alexander (1971), Linear Associative Algebras, New York: Pergamon Press
- Abian, Alexander (1976), Boolean Rings, Boston: Branden Press
- Abian's University of Iowa homepage: http://www.math.iastate.edu/abian/homepage.html (archive.org)
- Interview with Alexander Abian on "Ordinary Iowa" (youtube.com): Part I, Part II
- "United States Social Security Death Index," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JRKM-R3R : accessed 16 Sep 2014), Alexander Abian, b. 1 Jan 1923, d. 24 Jul 1999; citing U.S. Social Security Administration, Death Master File, database (Alexandria, Virginia: National Technical Information Service, ongoing).
- "ISU professor Abian dies at 76", https://web.archive.org/web/20001204074300/http://www.amestrib.com/news.cfm?num=143
- "Mathematics Genealogy Project", (http://www.genealogy.ams.org/id.php?id=237 : accessed September 16, 2014), Alexander (Smbat) Abian, Ph.D. University of Cincinnati 1956.