S. A. Weltmer
From Kook Science
|S. A. Weltmer|
|Born||7 July 1858|
Wooster, Wayne Co., Ohio
|Died||6 December 1930 (72)|
Nevada, Vernon Co., Missouri
|Workplace(s)||American School of Magnetic Healing; Weltmer School of Healing; Weltmer Institute of Suggestive Therapeutics|
|Affiliations||Freemasonry (32°); Knights Templar; Elks; Odd Fellows; Knights of Pythias; Atlantian Mystics|
Sidney Abram Weltmer (July 7, 1858 - December 6, 1930) was an American Baptist minister and magnetic healer who devised Suggestotherapy (Weltmerism), the practice of which was taught and used at his American School of Magnetic Healing and Weltmer Institute of Suggestive Therapeutics of Nevada, Missouri.
- Weltmer, S. A. (1899), Regeneration: A Discussion of the Sex Question From a New and Scientific Standpoint, Parsons, Kansas: The Foley Railway Printing Co., https://archive.org/details/60331180R.nlm.nih.gov
- Weltmer, S. A. (1900), Self-Reliance, or the Key to Business Success, Kansas City: Hudson-Kimberly Pub. Co.
- Weltmer, S. A. (1903), The New Voice of Christianity, Kansas City: Hudson-Kimberley Pub. Co.
- Weltmer, S. A. (190?), The Mystery Revealed, or, The Hand-Book of Weltermerism: A Supplement to the Author's New and Illustrated Mail Course of Instruction in His Science of Healing, Kansas City: Hudson-Kimberley Pub. Co.
- Weltmer, S. A. (1922), The Healing Hand, Nevada, Mo.: Weltmer Institute of Suggestive Therapeutics Co., https://archive.org/details/healinghandteac00weltgoog
- "ASTOUNDS THE NATIVES. A Sedalia Gentleman Who Cures His Patients By Hypnotism.", Sedalia Democrat (Sedalia, MO): 3, 3 Jul. 1896, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119818789/astounds-the-natives-a-sedalia/
- "The Renowned Magnetic Healer at Nevada", El Dorado Springs Sun (El Dorado Springs, MO): 4, 18 May 1897, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119818967/the-renowned-magnetic-healer-at-nevada/
vs. Christian Advocate (1899)
A libel suit filed was by Weltmer and J. H. Kelly, business manager of the Weltmer Insitute, against Rev. Dr. C. M. Bishop and Rev. Dr. Palmore over an article by Bishop in the 16 Aug. 1899 issue of Palmore's Christian Advocate. The trial took place at Butler, Missouri for six days and over two hundred witnesses were reportedly called to testify, concluding with Bishop being ordered to pay $750 and Palmore being exonerated. The verdict against Bishop was eventually overturned on appeal.
- "Wants $20,000 Damages", Henry County Democrat (Clinton, MO): 3, 1 Sep. 1899, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119832193/wants-20000-damages/
- "VERDICT FOR $750. Weltmer & Kelly's Suit Against Rev. Bishop. THEY WANTED $20,000.00.", Sedalia Democrat (Sedalia, MO): 1, 11 Dec. 1899, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119832083/verdict-for-750-weltmer-kellys/
- "Weltmer Lost This Case.", Winfield Courier (Winfield, KS): 11, 4 Dec. 1902, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119834195/weltmer-lost-this-case/
vs. U.S. Post Office (1900-1903)
Fraud Order Issued (1900)
- "BOND $3,000 EACH. Prof. S. A. Weltmer and Joseph H. Kelly Held. INDICTMENT FOR BOTH.", Sedalia Democrat (Sedalia, MO): 1, 8 May 1900, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119833090/bond-3000-each-prof-s-a-weltmer/
- "BARRED FROM THE MAILS. American School of Magnetic Healing Declared a Fraud. The Postoffice Department Issues an Order Against Transmitting Its Correspondence - It Advertised to Effect the Cure of Illness or Poverty by the Absent Treatment.", Evening Times (Washington, D.C.): 3, 16 May 1900, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119833574/barred-from-the-mails-american-school/
- "MAIL BEING RETURNED.", St. Louis Republic (St. Louis, MO): 4, 29 May 1900, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119833846/mail-being-returned/
Supreme Court Verdict (1902)
- "WELTMER WINS A BIG VICTORY. THE NEVADA 'HEALER' MAY USE THE MAILS. Federal Supreme Court Reverses Decision of District Court Against His Operations.", Chillicothe Constitution-Tribune (Chillicothe, MO): 7, 18 Nov. 1902, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119834026/weltmer-wins-a-big-victory-the-nevada/
- "WELTMER GETS MAIL. United States Supreme Court Reverses Lower Decision. FRAUDULENT ORDER. Postmaster General Mails Weltmer a Fraud Money Order to Test the Case. LOWER COURT WAS WRONG. The Case Remanded for Future Proceedings to Give Weltmer a Chance to Prove His Business is Not a Fraudulent One - Weltmer Known in Fort Scott.", Fort Scott Republican (Fort Scott, KS): 1, 18 Nov. 1902, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119835400/weltmer-gets-mail-united-states/
- "A VICTORY FOR WELTMER. The Supreme Court Allows the Healer Use of the Mails - Case Not Yet Ended.", Daily Free Press and the Times (Independence, KS): 7, 21 Nov. 1902, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119834398/a-victory-for-weltmer-the-supreme/
Case Dismissed by Complainants (1903)
As Weltmer and Kelly had dissolved the American School and reformed as the Weltmer School, this new organisation not being under a fraud order, even in light of the Supreme Court victory, the case against the Postmaster was dropped.
- "THE WELTMER CASE. Nevada 'Healers' Have Formed New Organization.", Sedalia Democrat (Sedalia, MO): 8, 10 Feb. 1903, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119835758/the-weltmer-case-nevada-healers-have/
- "PROF. S. A. WELTMER HAS PASSED OVER - END OF NOTED NEVADA CHARACTER CAME LATE FRIDAY. Was Undoubtedly the Widest Known Man Nevada Ever produced and Always Nevada Booster.", Nevada Herald (Nevada, MO): 1, 12 Dec. 1930, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119831671/prof-s-a-weltmer-has-passed-over/
- "THE MIRACULOUS POWER OF MAGNETISM. A New and Startling Way of Curing the Sick That Is Attracting Attention All Over the World. THE WELTMER METHOD. Prof. S. A. Weltmer Has Thousands of Wonderful Cures to His Credit. HIS METHOD PURELY SCIENTIFIC. Hundreds and Hundreds of People Have Been Cured by Him When The Last Ray of Hope Had Vanished.", Cincinnati Post (Cincinnati, OH): 3, 11 Jul. 1898, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119819116/the-miraculous-power-of-magnetism/
- "THE MIRACLES OF OLD MIRACLES NO LONGER. They Are Completely Overshadowed and Eclipsed by the Remarkable Accomplishments of the World's Premier Healer, Prof. S. A. Weltmer. HUNDREDS WILLINGLY ADD THEIR TESTIMONY. The Icy Hand of Death Is Cheated of Its Would-Be Prey — Many People Have Been Snatched From the Brink of the Yawning Grave and Restored to Health, Friends and Happiness.", St. Louis Post-Dispatch (St. Louis, MO): 5, 7 Aug. 1898, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119819308/the-miracles-of-old-miracles-no-longer/
- "Healing the Multitudes. Perfection at Last Reached by Prof. S. A. Weltmer, the Eminent Magnetic Healer, of Nevada, Mo. — He Has Completely Revolutionized the Science of Healing, and His Wonderful Achievements Are Astonishing the World. EVERY KNOWN DISEASE IS REACHED. Hundreds and Thousands of People Who Have Found Nothing But Disappointment and Failure in Every Other Method Have Been Quickly and Permanently Cured By This Treatment.", Indianapolis News (Indianapolis, IN): 5, 7 Sep. 1898, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119819503/healing-the-multitudes-perfection-at/
- "Magnetic Healers — May Rival the — Divine Healers. By Writing a Few Letters and Sending a Few (?) Dollars Through the Mails You Can Become a Magnetic Healer — Doctors Have Something to Say in the Matter.", Buffalo Times (Buffalo, NY): 5, 9 Jun. 1899, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119882149/magnetic-healers-may-rival-the/
- Brown, Grace M. (1906), Seven Steps in the Life of Prof. S. A. Weltmer, Hudson Press, https://archive.org/details/sevenstepsinlif00browgoog