S. W. Axtell
From Kook Science
Samuel Weir Axtell (June 17, 1850 - February 18, 1918) was an American magnetic healer, scientific body masseur, and chiropractic. Axtell operated his own practice at Sedalia, Missouri from 1898 to 1900, followed by a stint employed by S. A. Weltmer at Nevada, Missouri and private practice at Hoopeston, Illinois, before eventually migrating north to practice at Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada in 1903, where he continued to do business until shortly before his death. Prior to his later-life career change, Axtell had been a lawyer and county school superintendent at Bloomfield, Greene Co., Indiana.
- Axtell, S. W. (1900), The Secret Told: A Text Book of Psychic Healing, Giving an Outline of the Principles of Healing By the Drugless Method - Suggestion Simplified - Mental Science Demonstrated., Jefferson City, Mo.: Tribune Printing Co.
Sedalia, Mo. Sanitarium (1898-1900)
- "POTTER'S NEW JOB. He Will Be Associated With Prof. S. W. Axtell. A SANITARIUM CERTAIN. The Third Street Office Is Too Small — Commodious Quarters Absolutely Necessary.", Sedalia Democrat (Sedalia, MO): 1, 23 Apr. 1899, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119777507/potters-new-job-he-will-be-associated/
Weltmer School (1900-1902)
- "Now Located at Nevada", Sedalia Democrat (Sedalia, MO): 1, 2 Oct. 1900, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119787053/prof-s-w-axtell-late-of-sedalia-is/, "Prof. S. W. Axtell, late of Sedalia, is now a member of Prof. S. A. Weltmer's staff at Nevada, and is said to be making quite a reputation as a healer."
- "Prof. S. W. Axtell promoting Swart's Method of Healing", Pleasanton Observer-Enterprise (Pleasanton, KS): 8, 18 Apr. 1901, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119809978/mail-course-in-swarts-method-of/ — Axtell recommending Joseph Swart's mail order course on "Magnetic Healing, Osteopathy, Weltmerism, Suggestive Therapeutics, Hypnotism, Mesmerism, Clairvoyance, Practical Mental Science, Vital Magnetism, Transference of Thought, Home Treatment, Personal Magnetism, Method of Treatment," alongside William Teer and others.
- "Prof. S. W. Axtell (...) is now a member of the Weltmer magnetic healing staff at Nevada, Mo.", Sedalia Democrat (Sedalia, MO): 9, 6 Jul. 1902, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119809682/prof-s-w-axtell-is-now-a/
Winnipeg, Manitoba Practice (1903-1918)
- "Dr. S. W. Axtell Heals all diseases without drugs", Winnipeg Tribune (Winnipeg, MB): 2, 27 Aug. 1903, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119787606/dr-s-w-axtell-heals-all-diseases/
- "'DOCTOR' AXTELL IS CENSURED: Jury Believes Qualified Man Should Have Attended Isreal Scott.", Winnipeg Tribune (Winnipeg, MB): 5, 5 Jul. 1907, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119788182/doctor-axtell-is-censured-jury/
- "'PEG DOCTORS STIRRED OVER THE DEATH OF A PATIENT OF AN OSTEOPATH", Star-Phoenix (Saskatoon, SK): 1, 21 Aug. 1908, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119817386/peg-doctors-stirred-over-the-death-of/
- "MASSEUR CHARGED WITH CRIMINAL NEGLECT. Coroner's Jury Find Winnipeger Responsible for Death of Man.", Victoria Daily Times (Victoria, BC): 1, 25 Aug. 1908, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119788316/masseur-charged-with-criminal-neglect/
- "Another Fine for Axtell.", Winnipeg Tribune (Winnipeg, MB): 11, 14 Jun. 1909, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119788516/another-fine-for-axtell/
- "Returns From Chicago: Dr. S. W. Axtell, the well-known chiropractor of Winnipeg...", Free Press Prairie Farmer (Winnipeg, MB): 3, 19 Sep. 1917, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119788739/returns-from-chicago-dr-s-w-axtell/
- "Prof. S. W. AXTELL, MAGNETIC HEALER, Has reached the top notch of perfection in the healing art after many years of hard study and scientific investigation.", Sedalia Weekly Democrat (Sedalia, MO): 8, 8 Jul. 1898, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119763237/prof-s-w-axtell-magnetic-healer/
- "S. W. AXTELL, The Man Whose Wonderful Power Over Diseases Has Startled the City and Made Glad the Hearts of Hundreds of Weary Sufferers All Over the Country.", Sedalia Democrat (Sedalia, MO): 6, 12 Mar. 1899, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119777715/s-w-axtell-the-man-whose-wonderful/
- "MARVELS OF SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH! The wonderful power of Prof. S. W. AXTELL, Magnetic Healer, places him foremost in the world of science.", Sedalia Weekly Democrat (Sedalia, MO): 4, 31 Mar. 1899, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119777312/marvels-of-scientific-research/
- "Seemingly Superhuman Cures!! Performed at the Axtell Santarium During the Past Few Days -- Crutches Were Thrown Away and Stammering Forgotten. THE AXTELL METHODS CURE. Patients in Almost Every Block In Sedalia Thank Professor Axtell for Health and Happiness — Those Treated by Mail In Every State and Territory in the Union are Equally Well Pleased.", Sedalia Democrat (Sedalia, MO): 8, 15 Aug. 1899, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119778028/seemingly-superhuman-cures-performed/
- "APPENDICITIS: Corroborating Evidence - A Case Clearly Made Beyond a Reasonable Doubt - Cured Without Drugs or Surgery.", Free Press Prairie Farmer (Winnipeg, MB): 6, 7 Jun. 1905, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/119787981/appendicitis-corroborating-evidence/