Samuel Rowbotham (Parallax)
From Kook Science
|Alias(es)||S. Goulden; S. Birley; Tryon; Parallax|
|Died||23 December 1884 (68) |
Hampstead, London, England 
|Noted work(s)||"Zetetic Astronomy: Earth Not A Globe!"|
Samuel Birley Rowbotham (1816 - 1884) was a British proponent of Zetetic Astronomy, his personal Flat Earth theory, notably in writings published under his pseudonym Parallax.
- Goulden, S. (1849), Zetetic Astronomy: Earth not a Globe 
- Parallax (1865), Zetetic Astronomy. Earth Not A Globe! An Experimental Inquiry into the Figure of the Earth: Proving It a Plane, Without Axial or Orbital Motion; and the Only Material World in the Universe, London: Simpkin, Marshall, and Co., https://archive.org/details/samuel_rowbotham-earth_not_a_globe
- de Morgan, Augustus (1915), "Zetetic Astronomy", A Budget of Paradoxes, 2, Chicago, London: The Open Court Publishing Co., p. 88-94, https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc2.ark:/13960/t0qr4q548;view=1up;seq=96, "This broadsheet is printed at Aylesbury in 1857, and the lecturer calls himself Parallax: but at Trowbridge, in 1849, he was S. Goulden."
- "THE BALLOON SOCIETY OF GREAT BRITAIN", Denbighshire Free Press 1 (33): 6, 4 February 1882, http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3609549/3609555, retrieved 2017-02-09, "The Balloon Society of Great Britain has just held a meeting at the Royal Aquarium, London, when Dr. S. Birley, who is known by the nom de plume of "Parallax," delivered a lecture on "Zetetic Astronomy" (with diagrams)."
- Proctor, Richard A. (11 April 1884), "Our Paradox Column", Knowledge: an Illustrated Magazine of Science (London: Wyman & Sons) 5 (128): 253, https://books.google.com/books?id=PRIoAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA253&lpg=PA253, retrieved 2017-02-09, "We find on reading over Mr. Wolfson's remarks that he describes the philosopher who uses the nom-de-plume (and de guerre) of Parallax, as being no other than the Mr. S. Goulden of 1849, the Mr. Rowbotham of 1864, who at another time went by the name of Tryon, and is now known — we had supposed — as Dr. S. Birley; he speaks of Parallax as one who claims to know how life is shortened and how it may be prolonged; he expresses the opinion that Parallax is not in reality master of these secrets; and he uses words implying that Dr. S. Birley is not a registered medical practitioner."
- "Find A Grave Index," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVV9-17ZQ : 13 December 2015), Samuel Rowbotham, 1884; Burial, Beckenham, London Borough of Bromley, Greater London, England, Beckenham Cemetery and Crematorium; citing record ID 7368594, Find a Grave, https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=7368594
- "England and Wales Death Registration Index 1837-2007," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2VML-N77 : 31 December 2014), Samuel Rowbotham, 1884; from "England & Wales Deaths, 1837-2006," database, findmypast (http://www.findmypast.com : 2012); citing Death, Hampstead, London, England, General Register Office, Southport, England.