S. N. Thomas
From Kook Science
|S. N. Thomas|
|Born||20 September 1822 |
|Died||5 September 1911 (88) |
Pavilion Township, Genesee, New York
|Burial||Pavilion Cemetery, Pavilion Township, New York |
|Occupation(s)||Mfg. of Patent Medicines|
|Known for||Oil of Vitriol Compound|
|Spouse(s)||Susan E. [Beekman]|
Samuel Newell Thomas (September 20, 1822 - September 5, 1911) was an American manufacturer of patent medicines, most notably his Dr. Thomas' Eclectric Oil.
Information gleaned from his obituary in the LeRoy Gazette for September 13, 1911, page 8:
- Joined the U.S. Navy at age 16, served a year and a half
- Lived "in and around" Tarrytown, New York "for a number of years"
- Moved with his family to a farm near Auburn in 1860
- Moved to Skaneateles, where he began the manufacture of his Eclectric Oil
- Moved to Phelps, continued his patent medicine business
- Sold the formula for the Eclectric Oil to Foster, Milburn & Co. in 1876
- Moved to Pavilion in April 1877, where he resided until his death, manufacturing his Ozone Oil
"He was a member of the Episcopal Church for about 45 years and a chartermember of Oatka Lodge I.O.O.F."
- FamilyCentral.net, entry for Samuel Newell THOMAS & Susan Elizabeth BEEKMAN <http://www.familycentral.net/index/family.cfm?ref1=15859:104730&ref2=15859:104731 : accessed 23 Feb 2014>
- Grave marker of Samuel N. Thomas (findagrave.com): b. 20 Sep 1822, d. 5 Sep 1911