Mountain Devils of Mount St. Helens
From Kook Science
Mountain Devils of Mount St. Helens is a press label for a group of crypto-hominids, "mountain gorillas," or otherwise unknown entities that were reported to have attacked a prospecting party - including Fred Beck, Roy Smith, and others - in early July 1924. According to news articles on the alleged incident, the creatures hurled stones and attacked the group's cabin at a gorge on the southeast shoulder of Mount St. Helens, some eight miles from Spirit Lake. Related articles from Native American contributors, including Jorg Totsgi of the Klallam (Clallam) Tribe, linked to incident to the activities of the Seeahtik, "strange giant Indians" with "hairy bodies like a bear," possessing knowledge of bird imitation, ventriloquism, and hypnotic suggestion.
- "FIGHT WITH BIG APES REPORTED BY MINERS - FABLED BEASTS ARE SAID TO HAVE BOMBARDED CABIN - ONE OF ANIMALS, SAID TO APPEAR LIKE HUGE GORILLA, IS KILLED BY PARTY - They Saw 'Devils'", The Oregonian, July 13, 1924
- "Party is to hunt for 'Mountain Devils'", The Oregonian, July 14, 1924
- The Oregonian, July 15, 1924
- "Expedition Ready To Begin Hunt For 'Mountain Devils'", Eugene Guard, July 15, 1924, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/97178647/
- "SAYS STORY OF 'DEVILS' IS ALL BUNK", Modesto Evening News, July 15, 1924, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/11331698/fred_beck_spirit_lake_bigfoot_story/
- Totsgi, Jorg (July 16, 1924), "BIG HAIRY INDIANS BACK OF APE TALE - Mountain Devils' Mystery Grows Deeper - GIANTS SAID TO ROAM HILLS - Shaggy Creatures Kill Game by Hypnotism, It Is Said - VENTRILOQUISM IS USED", The Oregonian, http://www.olympicproject.com/1924-oregonian-july-16/
- "APE HUNT TO FAIL, INDIANS PREDICT - SEEAHTIKS SAID TO ROAM AT SPIRIT LAKE - STRANGE EVENTS RELATED - BIG BREASTED GIANTS TAKE REVENGE ON TRIBESMEN - CEDAR IS LEFT ON DEAD - SHAGGY MONSTERS REPUTED TO BE STRONG ENOUGH TO PULL OFF HEADS OF HUMANS", The Oregonian, July 17, 1924, http://www.olympicproject.com/1924-oregonian-july-17-follow-up/
- The Oregonian, July 20, 1924
- The Oregonian, July 21, 1924
- The Oregonian, July 23, 1924
- "'DEVIL' HUNT ABANDONED IN WASH.", Santa Ana Register, July 23, 1924, https://www.newspapers.com/clip/11331989/devil_hunt_abandoned_in_wash_fred/
- Mountain Devils' Mystery Grows Deeper, The Oregonian, 16 July 1924.