Joseph Rodes Buchanan
|Joseph Rodes Buchanan|
As pictured in "Periodicity: the absolute law of the entire universe"
|Born||11 December 1814|
|Died||26 December 1899 (85) |
San Jose, California
|Alma mater||University of Louisville, M.D. (1842)|
|Known for||Psychometry, Sarcognomy|
Joseph Rodes Buchanan (December 11, 1814 - December 26, 1899) was an American eclectic physician, a founder (and later opponent) of the Eclectic Medical Institute, and proponent of the theories of psychometry and sarcognomy.
Otto Juettner, in "Daniel Drake and his followers" (1909), said of Dr. Buchanan: "He was a strange sort of a man, reserved and dignified, leading a secluded life and wrapt up in weird and semi-mystical researches in anthropology, sarcognomy, psychometry and occult subjects of a religious character. He was suspicious and restless, constantly at loggerheads with his colleagues."
Phrenology and Sarcognomy
- Buchanan, Joseph Rodes (1891). Therapeutic Sarcognomy. Boston, Mass.: J. G. Cupples Co. https://archive.org/details/therapeuticsarc00buch.
- Buchanan, Joseph Rodes (1885). Manual of Psychometry: The Dawn of a New Civilization. Boston: By the Author. https://archive.org/details/manualpsychomet02buchgoog.
- Buchanan, Joseph Rodes (1854), Outlines of Lectures on the Neurological System of Anthropology, Cincinnati: Office of Buchanan's Journal of Man, https://archive.org/details/outlinesoflectur00buchuoft
- Buchanan, Joseph Rodes (1882), Moral Education: Its Laws and Methods, New York: Printed for the Author by S. W. Green's Son, https://archive.org/details/moraleducationit00buch
- Buchanan, Joseph Rodes (1897), Primitive Christianity: Containing the Lost Lives of Jesus Christ and the Apostles, Showing the Dawn of Christianity in Jesus Christ, Its Destruction by Martydrom and Suppression, the Pagan Origin of the Roman Church, the Falsification of the Bible by Forgery, and the Authentic Gospel of St. John, I, San Jose, Cal.: E. S. Buchanan, https://archive.org/details/primitivechristi00buch
- Buchanan, Joseph Rodes (1897), Periodicity: The Absolute Law of the Entire Universe, San Jose, Cal.: E. S. Buchanan, https://archive.org/details/periodicityabsol00buch