From Kook Science
James Armstrong was a Scots-born physician who was the ringleader of a group — including his brother Thomas Armstrong, J. H. Randall, and Charles M. Hovey — that incorporated several diploma mills at Chicago, Illinois during the 1890s, inclusive the Illinois Health University, Independent Medical College, Illinois Health University, Scientific Medical College of Chicago, and Metropolitan Medical College, among others, as well as being associated with James H. Longden's Garden City Law School. Armstrong was eventually convicted of mail fraud by a U.S. Federal Court in December 1900, being sentenced to one year in prison, served at the Du Page County jail, in addition to being fined $500, while his sundry corporations were banned from the mails by a fraud order issued by the U.S. Post Office.
- "Dr. James Armstrong Arrested.", Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL): 5, 4 Dec. 1898, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/349897693/
- "Dr. Zeigler Swears Out Warrants.", Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL): 8, 6 Dec. 1898, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/349899458/, "Dr. L. Zeigler, who last Thursday caused the arrest of Dr. James A. Armstrong, President of the Independent Medical College, yesterday swore out warrants at the Harrison Street Police Station against J. H. Randall and John Randall Jr., whom he charges with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to commit murder. The Randalls operate the Western University. The case will be heard next Wednesday."
- "DIPLOMA MILL MEN ARE HELD. Four Metropolitan Medical College Officials to Face Federal Grand Jury. 'GRADUATES' TELL OF IT, Say They Paid Various Sums for 'Sheepskins' Only to Find Them Worthless. CALLED BOGUS DOCTOR SHOP.", Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL): 12, 15 June 1900, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/350222529/, "After a hearing in which Clark J. Tisdel, attorney for the government, denounced the Metropolitan Medical College at 866 West Van Buren street as a 'bogus doctor shop' and a 'fraud on the public,' the four officials of that 'diploma mill' were held yesterday to the federal grand jury on charges of using the United States mails in promoting a scheme to defraud. The hearing was before United States Commissioner Humphrey and the four men held are: James Armstrong, President of the college. J. H. Randall, Vice President. Charles M. Hovey, Attorney. Thomas Armstrong, Secretary."
- "DIPLOMA MEN FOUND GUILTY. Armstrongs Convicted of Using Mails for Fraud in Operating Pretended Medical College. CLOSE OF LONG FIGHT. First Exposed by 'The Tribune;' Ever Since the Object of Attacks by the Board of Health. SENTENCE NEXT SATURDAY.", Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL): 1, 9 Dec. 1900, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/350237792/
- "JAIL FOR DIPLOMA MAN. JAMES ARMSTRONG TO SERVE ONE YEAR AND PAY $500. President of the Metropolitan Medical College Sent to the Du Page County Lockup for Using Mails to Defraud in Selling Sheepskins — Judge Kohlsaat Overrules Motion for New Trial — Cases of Other Defendants to Be Passed Upon a Next Term of Court.", Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL): 8, 16 Dec. 1900, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/350239428/