From Kook Science
(Redirected from Everett Ralston)
Photo portrait of "Edmund Shaftesbury"
|Born||Albert Webster Edgerly|
20 December 1852
|Died||5 November 1926 (73) |
Trenton, New Jersey
|Pen name||Edmund Shaftesbury,|
|Alma mater||Boston University|
Ralston Health Club
Personal Magnetism Club of America
|Spouse(s)||Ella F. Glines (1877);|
Cora E. Burchstead (1883)
Edna Reid Boyts (189?)
Albert Webster Edgerly (December 20, 1852 - November 5, 1926) was an American attorney, actor, author, and health guru, founder of Ralstonism and the Ralston Health Club (under the name Everett Ralston), through which he acted as a promoter of various doctrines for self-improvement (generally under his authorial pseudonym Edmund Shaftesbury).
As Webster Edgerly
- Edgerly, Webster, The Authority Dictionary
- Edgerly, Webster (1891), The Natural Reader: a Revolution in the Art of Reading: Designed for Old And Young, At Home And At School, Adapted to Suit Every Grade of Instruction, Especially Helpful to Public Speakers And Readers, Baltimore, MD: Shaftesbury College Press, https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/008993317
As Everett Ralston
- The introductory membership books for the Ralston Health Club, in sundry editions and forms, with titles like General Membership Book of Knowledge of the Ralston Health Club and The Book of Complete Membership in the Ralston Health Club.
- Ralston, Everett (1891), The Ralston Brain Regime, Washington, D.C.: The Martyn College Press, https://archive.org/details/66250060R.nlm.nih.gov — "Presenting a Course of Conduct, Exercises and Study designed to develop perfect health in the physical brain, strength the mind, and increase the power of thought."
As Edmund Shaftesbury
- Shaftesbury, Edmund, ed., Life Building Method of the Ralston Health Club, "All Nature Course", Ralston Health Club, https://archive.org/details/lifebuildingmeth00ralsiala
- Shaftesbury, Edmund (1888), Lessons in Artistic Deep Breathing for Strengthening the Voice, Washington, D.C.: The Martyn College Press, https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/008915607
- Shaftesbury, Edmund (1888), Lessons in the Mechanics of Personal Magnetism: Arranged Either for Reading Or Study; With Certain Exercises So Explained That Any Person May Easily Understand And Master Them Without a Teacher, Washington, D.C.: The Martyn College Press, https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000583128
- Shaftesbury, Edmund (1889), Lessons in the Art of Facial Expression: Profusely Illustrated With Original Designs Prepared Expressly for This Work With a Full System of Personations, Washington, D.C.: The Martyn College Press, https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/007562507
- Shaftesbury, Edmund (1889), Lessons In the Art of Extemporaneous Speaking In Book Form, Washington, D.C.: The Martyn College Press, https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/008916679
- Shaftesbury, Edmund (1889), Lessons in Voice Culture: the Perfect Method, Designed for the Reader, the Orator, the Actor, the Teacher, the Pupil, the Elocutionist; And as the Foundation of the Singing Voice, Washington, D.C.: The Martyn College Press, https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/008915608
- Shaftesbury, Edmund (1889), Lessons in the Art of Acting, Washington, D.C.: The Martyn College Press, https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/008957955
- Shaftesbury, Edmund (1889), Lessons in Emphasis, Washington, D.C.: The Martyn College Press, https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/008958095
- Shaftesbury, Edmund (1889), Lessons in Grace, in Book Form: Containing All the Laws of Grace, Rules of Deportment And Principles of Movement, Essential to the Art of Oratory, Acting And Reading, And for Use In the Drawing Room, Upon the Stage, Platform And Pulpit, Washington, D.C.: The Martyn College Press, https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/008916075
- Shaftesbury, Edmund (1893), The Shaftesbury School of Philosophy Known As the Story of Our Existences Or the Doctrine of Diversity: Home Course in Philosophy; A Study of What We Are, Where We Are, Our Origin and Destiny, Washington, D.C.: Shaftesbury College, https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/009562935
- Shaftesbury, Edmund (1895), Cultivation of Personal Magnetism, Washington, D.C.: The Martyn College
- Shaftesbury, Edmund (1901), Cultivation of the Chest; Or, The Highest Physical Development of the Human Form, Washington, D.C.: Ralston Pub. Co., https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/012273856
- Shaftesbury, Edmund (1900), Ralston Gardens of Life: a Study of Health And the Best Way of Living, Including the Natural Cure of Disease And the Perfecting of the Faculties: Also Private Walks And Talks With the Author And a Complete Presentation of Diets In Health And Disease And Foods of the Ralstonites, Washington, D.C.: Ralston Health Club, https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/100244227
Magnetism / Esoteric
- Shaftesbury, Edmund, Personal Magnetism
- Shaftesbury, Edmund, Universal Magnetism, I
- Shaftesbury, Edmund, Universal Magnetism, II
- Shaftesbury, Edmund, Operations of the Other Mind: Making Known the Unseen Powers of the Universe in Their Control Over Human Life
- Shaftesbury, Edmund, Mental Magnetism
- Shaftesbury, Edmund, Advanced Magnetism
- Shaftesbury, Edmund, Magnetism of the Sexes
- Shaftesbury, Edmund (1898), Immortality, a Scientific Proof of Life After Death, Washington, D.C.: Martyn College Press Association, https://archive.org/details/immortality00shaf
- Shaftesbury, Edmund (1903), The Adam-man Tongue: The Universal Language of the Human Race, Washington, D.C.: Ralston Publishing Company, http://www.iapsop.com/ssoc/1903__shaftesbury___the_adam-man_tongue.pdf
- Shaftesbury, Edmund; The Committee of the Society, eds. (1907), Book of the Psychic Society, a Study of the Unseen Powers that Surround Human Life, Based on Fixed Natural Laws, Washington, D.C.: Ralston Company, http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011202657
- Shaftesbury, Edmund (1907), Physical Religion: A System of Warfare Against the Penalties of Existence, Based Upon the Laws of Universal Life, Washington, D.C.: Ralston Health Club
- Shaftesbury, Edmund (1908), Book of Glame: A Complete Course in Life Electricity; The Source of Vitality, Washington, D.C.: Ralston University Publishing Company
- Shaftesbury, Edmund (1926), Thought Transference: Or, The Radio-activity of the Human Mind, Based On the Newly Discovered Laws of Radio Communication Between Brain And Brain, Meriden, Conn.: The Ralston University Press
- Shaftesbury, Edmund (1926), Future Seeing and Philosophy of Philosophies: A Study of Coming Events, Conditions, and Transactions Based on the Well Established Law That All Future Occurrences are Absolutely Controlled By Unvarying Lines of Causation That Are Discernible in Present Day Activities, Meriden, Conn.: The Ralston University Press
- Shaftesbury, Edmund (1928), The Great Psychic: The Master Power of the Universe: a Study of the Origin, Meaning and Purpose of Those Controlling Influences that Precede, Attend and Follow Human Existence on Earth: an All-inclusive Educational System Based on New Sources of Knowledge, Meriden, Conn.: The Ralston University Press
As King Wallace
(It is likely that Edgerly wrote as King Wallace, though unconfirmed.)
- Wallace, King (1892), The New War: A Prediction, Washington, D.C.: The Martyn Publishing House — a novel about race war between blacks and whites, in which a group of black conspirators plan to poison the whites; this failing, the whites retaliate, committing genocide against all the blacks in the United States. Opens with a statement that the conspiracy against the white race described in the novel is real.
- "Find A Grave Index," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QV24-PX92 : 13 December 2015), Webster Edgerly, 1926; Burial, Ewing, Mercer, New Jersey, United States of America, First Presbyterian Church of Ewing Cemetery; citing record ID 59221213, Find a Grave, http://www.findagrave.com.
- "Massachusetts Town Records, ca. 1638-1961," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FHVH-1XM : 20 April 2016), Albert W. Edgerly and Ella F. Glines, 15 Oct 1877; citing Lynn, Essex, Massachusetts, United States, Town clerks and local churches; FHL microfilm 1,927,902.
- "Massachusetts Town Records, ca. 1638-1961," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FH5H-G46 : 20 April 2016), Albert W. Edgerly and Cora E. Burchstead, 23 Feb 1883; citing Lynn, Essex, Massachusetts, United States, Town clerks and local churches; FHL microfilm 1,927,901.
- Bleiler, Everett F.; Bleiler, Richard J. (1990), "2285. THE NEXT WAR. A PREDICTION.", Science-Fiction, the Early Years: A Full Description of More Than 3,000 Science-fiction Stories from Earliest Times to the Appearance of the Genre Magazines in 1930 : with Author, Title, and Motif Indexes, Kent, Ohio: Kent State University Press, p. 785, https://books.google.ca/books?id=KEZxhkG5eikC&pg=PA785&lpg=PA785, retrieved 2016-12-16