Stefan Colonna Walewski
From Kook Science
|Count S. Colonna Walewski|
|Born||9 June 1897 |
Vilna, Russian Empire
|Died||19 May 1955 (57) |
New York City, New York
|Occupation(s)||Diplomat; proprietor of Esoterica antique shop|
|Nationality||Russian Empire, Polish, American|
|Known for||Caucasian Yoga|
Stefan Colonna Walewski (June 9, 1897 - May 19, 1955) was a Russian-born diplomat and antiquities specialist of Polish descent, touted in the United States as a foremost expert in occult artifacts. As proprietor of his Esoterica shop in New York City, Count Colonna-Walewski maintained a large collection of "mystic and occult curios," at one point boasting over 20,000 objects and "the largest library on demonology in America."
- Imperial Diplomatic Corps., Russian War Office, Inspector of Munitions.
- First arrived in U.S. in 1916, naturalized as citizen in 1927.
- Owned Esoterica at 161 East 56 St. in NYC: "Oriental, Occidental, Early Art, Ancient Cultures," "objects of comparative religions, occult and mystic sciences, superstitions, early medicines."
- A System of Caucasian Yoga, as Orally Received by Count Stefan Colonna Walewski; A Manuscript Facsimile With Over 150 Diagrs. And Illus. By the Author., Indian Hills, Colo.: Falcon's Wing Press, 1955 — Walewski attributed the exercises contained in this book to his Zoroastrian teachers in the Caucasian mountains. The ad copy: "The complete doctrines of the hitherto unknown Society: how to acquire the Master Rhythm; attain Communion with the Harmonious Powers; Yoga Breath Control; all the Master Secrets. A step-by-step system detailed in the Count's precise manuscript, and illustrated by his own diagrams showing exact position for each exercise."
- Baker, Gladys (4 Aug. 1929), "RUSSIAN RELATES LORE OF GEMS", Birmingham News (Birmingham, AL): 58, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/573479705/
- King Features (31 Mar. 1935), "Laughs, Squeals and Tumbles as Society Tries the Ancient Hindu Levitation Trick. The Skeptics Vowed That Vivacious Elsa's 'Ethereal Suspension' Was Just a Gag, But Now the Fad Has Furiously Invaded Park Avenue and Mayfair, and the Jumper-Offers Are Active, Too!", The Times (Shreveport, LA): 49, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/210913574
- Boyle, Hal (28 Apr. 1947). "DEVIL DEALER CITES MAGIC AS FORM OF ESCAPE; New York Operator of 'Esoterica' Shop Carries All Occult Curios". Portsmouth Times. Associated Press (Portsmouth, Ohio: Brush-Moore). http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=c4VPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=RNEMAAAAIBAJ&pg=6836%2C5533036.
- Globe Fotos (9 July 1950), "Could You Use a Good Devil? Count Walewski deals in demons from every age and nation", Daily News (New York City, New York): 12, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/450125348/
- "New York, Southern District, U.S District Court Naturalization Records, 1824-1946," image, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-34652-13960-29: accessed 15 Aug 2013), Stefan Colonna Walewski, 9 June 1897
- "COUNT S. C. WALEWSKI (Obituary)". New York Times (New York). 1955-05-22. http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F10E11FD3B5410718EDDAB0A94DD405B8589F1D3. Retrieved 2014-03-02.