Sa-Tan-Ic Medicine & Manufacturing Co.
From Kook Science
The Sa-Tan-Ic Medicine and Manufacturing Co. (or Sa-Tanic-Ic Medicine Co.) was a Wichita, Kansas-based patent medicine manufacturer, incorporated on 24 December 1915 by W. W. Daniels and B. A. McGaugh to produce and distribute the company's namesake product Sa-Tan-Ic, a laxative and generic remedy for associated complaints.
- 1914: Prior to incorporation, Sa-Tan-Ic Tonic was sold through Daniels & McGaugh's drug store at 109 West Douglas, Wichita, Kansas
- 1915: 324 Butts Bldg., Wichita, Kansas
- 1928: 930 N. Main St., Wichita, Kansas
- 1970: 1540 North Old Manor, Wichita, Kansas
The company also was engaged in manufacturing their products in Mena, Arkansas and Fort Smith, Arkansas.
- "SATANIC MEDICINE COMPANY GAINING WIDE REPUTATION - Greatest Constipation Medicine and System Renovator Made in Wichita - DEMAND GROWING FAST", Wichita Eagle (Wichita, KS): 36, 13 Apr. 1919, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/63962422/
- "SATANIC USED IN HOUSEHOLDS OF SOUTHWEST - First Formula Purchases From Heirs of French Chemist, Says Proprietor - PROVED SUCCESSFUL - Manufactured 600 Bottles and Advertised Them as a Tryout to Start - NOW HAS LARGE SALES", Wichita Eagle (Wichita, KS): 12, 16 May 1923, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/720646343/
- The company put on free medicine shows in Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, Arkansas, and Oklahoma in the 1930s, including acts the likes of Mell-O-Hath's, the Sa-Tan-Ic Players.
- ~ 1956: The Sa-Tan-Ic Medicine Co. of Wichita, Kan., transferred to the Sa-Tan-Ic Medicine and Mfg. Corp. of Mena, Arkansas certain rights to the trademarked image of "Satan standing on a world aflame", 109134. See: List of Registrants of Trademarks, Official Gazette of the United States Patent Office (v. 707, June 1956), "Sa-Tan-Ic Medicine Co., Wichita, Kans., to The Sa-Tan-Ic Medicine and Mfg. Corp., Mena, Ark. 109,134, ren. 3-21-56. Cl. 18.", https://books.google.com/books?id=wHQbAQAAMAAJ&pg=RA2-PA148-IA6
- Listed as a member of the United Medicine Manufacturers of America, a patent medicine trade association that lobbied against increasing the powers of the F.D.A. and changes to the Pure Food and Drugs Act.
- "SA-TAN-IC CLEANER - The Greatest Cleaner Ever Discovered for Automobile Drivers, Garage Workers, Railroad Shop Employees, Blacksmith, Painters, Threshersman, Etc.", Wichita Eagle (Wichita, KS): 2, 25 June 1916, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/63931201
- "Have You Tried Sa-tan-ic Gas Saver", Wichita Eagle (Wichita, KS): 28, 2 July 1916, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/63931331