S. C. Gould
From Kook Science
|S. C. Gould|
|Born||1 March 1840|
Weare, New Hampshire
|Died||19 July 1909 (69) |
Manchester, New Hampshire
|Burial||Pine Grove Cemetery, Manchester, NH|
|Affiliations||Mason (32°, Royal Arch, Knight Templar); Odd Fellow; Rosicrucian (and co-founder of Societas Rosicruciana in America)|
Sylvester Clark Gould (March 1, 1840 - July 19, 1909) was an American journalist, editor, and publisher, notably of Notes and Queries (also published as The Bizarre Notes and Queries, Historic Magazine and Notes and Queries, and various similar titles), a magazine of reader questions (queries) and answers provided by other readers, frequently including information on contemporary arcane societies and mail-order occultism, in addition to art, history, folklore, mathematics, etc.
In addition to editing and publishing Notes and Queries in its various forms, Gould also wrote several treatises on scientific, occultic, and arcane religious matters, including lectures on Rosicrucianism.
- Gould, S. C. (1886), The Master's Mallet, or, The Hammer of Thor
- Gould, S. C. (1887), The Staff of Adam and the Shem-Hammephorash, Manchester, N.H., https://archive.org/details/staffofadamshemh00goul
- Gould, S. C. (1888), Bibliography on the Polemic Problem: What is the Value of π (Pi), Manchester, N.H., https://archive.org/details/bibliographyonpo00goul/page/n1
- Gould, S. C. (1889), The Path of Rectitude or Ye Samian Y, Manchester, N.H., https://archive.org/details/pathofrectitudeo00goul
- Gould, S. C. (1892), Catechesis Arcani: The Secret Discipline, Manchester, N.H.
- Gould, S. C. (1896), Alcyone in the Pleiades, the Grand Central Sun, Manchester, N.H.
- Gould, S. C. (1907), The Philodemosians: Evolution of Secret Societies, Manchester, N.H.
- Browne, George Waldo, ed. (1910), "Memoirs: SYLVESTER C. GOULD", Manchester Historical Association Collections, Volume IV - 1908-1910, Manchester, N.H.: Manchester Historical Association, p. 313-317, https://archive.org/details/manchesterhistorv4manc/page/n5
- "New Hampshire Death Records, 1654-1947," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FSJQ-NM9 : 10 March 2018), Sylvester C. Gould, 19 Jul 1909; citing Manchester, , New Hampshire, Bureau Vital Records and Health Statistics, Concord; FHL microfilm 2,079,805.