On the influence of typefaces
From Kook Science
A preliminary reading into the influence of type on cognitive function.
- History of Type, devroye.org, http://luc.devroye.org/history.html — an overview by Luc Devroye (McGill University)
- Type classifications are useful, but the common ones are not, kupferschrift.de, http://kupferschrift.de/cms/2012/03/on-classifications/
- Funky Fonts May Help Students Learn, livescience.com, http://www.livescience.com/9296-funky-fonts-students-learn.html — reporting on a study showing "difficult to read" fonts improve information retention.
- Fonts used by car manufacturers can influence distracted driving, theverge.com, http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/26/3413686/study-car-manufacturers-typeface-distraction — reporting on a study showing Eurostile is more distracting than Frutiger.
- Convince with Simple Fonts, neurosciencemarketing.com, http://www.neurosciencemarketing.com/blog/articles/simple-fonts.htm — where it is suggested to "describe [tasks] in a simple, easy to read font".
- If It's Hard to Read, It's Hard to Do, umich.edu, http://sitemaker.umich.edu/norbert.schwarz/files/08_ps_song___schwarz_effort.pdf — "Processing Fluency Affects Effort Prediction and Motivation"; a report by Hyunjin Song and Norbert Schwarz (University of Michigan) on the influence of legibility in an individual's motivation to complete a text-prompted action.
- On fonts, mind control, contexts, refinedrobot.com, http://www.refinedrobot.com/on-fonts-contexts-mind-control-image-macros/ — quotations about the influence of type selections on the human mind.
- WhatTheFont, myfonts.com, http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/ — algorithmic search to match text samples to font-families.
- Sans Forgetica - RMIT, sansforgetica.rmit, http://sansforgetica.rmit/ — "a downloadable font that is scientifically designed to help you remember your study notes."