Morehead's Magnetic Plaster
|Morehead's Magnetic Plaster|
|Medical Claims||"The Great Strengthener and Pain Destroyer" would effectively "magnetise all pain" from the applied area|
|Vendors||D.C. Morehead; Hall & Ruckel |
Morehead's Magnetic Plaster was a body plaster that was produced by D.C. Morehead as a pain relief remedy in mid-to-late 19th century, promoted as affecting healing magnetism. Among the philatelist set, "Morehead's Magnetic Plaster" is notable for its 1¢ stamp, issued through 1849, a quantity of 196,200 thought to be in existence.
Oleson's "Secret nostrums and systems of medicine" (1890) reports the formula as being "tar and extract of belladonna, each in equal parts", though the claim is prefaced as being hearsay.
- Entry on the status of "Morehead's Magnetic Plaster", p. 338 (hathitrust.org) in "The Pharmaceutical Era", v.16, September 10, 1896 edition
- Morehead's Magnetic Plaster & Morehead's Neurodyne, rdhinstl.com, http://www.rdhinstl.com/mm/rs185.htm
- Charles W. Oleson, "Secret nostrums and systems of medicine: a book of formulas", p. 123; "Morehead's Magnetic Plaster" (archive.org)