Millionaire Press Club
From Kook Science
The Millionaire Press Club was a paid membership society publicised as "the most exclusive club in the world," though it seems to have been open to anyone willing to pay a fee of $10 a year for a subscription to Ed Kelly's Millionaire Magazine (Millionaire Pub. Inc.). Known members included Howard E. Hill, author of How to Think Like a Millionaire and Get Rich (1968), who also contributed columns to the magazine, and, according to Kelly, the likes of Howard Hughes and Glenn W. Turner.
Of interest, a "press representative" of the club, Bonnie Dummar, became directly entangled in a curious claim on the Hughes estate: her husband, Melvin Dummar, was listed as a beneficiary, the heir of one-sixteenth of the estate, on a hand-written will found during April 1976 in the files of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at Salt Lake City, Utah. The so-called "Mormon Will" was ruled to be invalid by a Las Vegas, Nevada jury in 1978 and was generally dismissed as a forgery. For his part, Kelly told the Los Angeles Times newspaper that "Mrs. Dummar had easy access to extensive files of Hughes 'memorabilia,' which included samples of his writing and biographical information," including "anecdotal material [...] about Hughes' borrowing a dime to make a telephone call when his automobile ran out of gas," points that worked against the Dummars' case.
- Tagline: "You don't have to be a millionaire — just think like one."
- Harvey, Steve (5 Aug. 1979), "MILLIONAIRES MAKE HIS MAGAZINE: Publisher Packages Egos and Sells Them", Los Angeles Times (Los Angeles, CA): 4-1, 4-5, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/387662204/
- Delagach, Al (25 Sep. 1976), "Dummar's Aunt to Face Quiz on Hughes Will", Los Angeles Times (Los Angeles, CA): 3, 14, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/383391143/
- Per Vandertuin's own advertising: "Classified ad. for New Age World Services", Hollywood Studio Magazine: 39, Jun. 1972, https://archive.org/details/hollywood-studio-magazine-1972-06/page/n39/mode/2up?q=%22Millionaire+Press+Club%22
- Pomasko, Waentyna (5 Oct. 1974), "Woman Heads New Magazine", Greenfield Recorder (Greenfield, MA): 11, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/840923274/