Louis T. Stone
From Kook Science
|Lou T. Stone|
|Alias(es)||Louis Timothy Stone|
|Born||19 October 1875 |
|Died||13 March 1933 (57) |
|Workplace(s)||Winsted Evening Citizen|
Louis Timothy Stone (October 19, 1875 - March 13, 1933) was an American newspaper journalist and serial hoaxer, noted for his authorship of many fabricated news bulletins set in his hometown of Winsted, Connecticut, including 1895 reports of the giant, tusked Winsted Wildman. Among his titles in the popular press were the Winsted Liar, the New England Munchausen, and Louis "Truthful" Stone.
- "Stone of Winsted: Being an Unvarnished Account of the Wizard of Connecticut, the Master of Wondrous Tales, the Owner of the Tunnelling Trout, the Inventor of the Cheese Boring Woodpecker and the Only Human Being Who Saw the Great Frog", San Francisco Call: 14, 21. Aug 1910, https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn85066387/1910-08-21/ed-1/seq-14/
- "STONE OF WINSTED. Connecticut Correspondent of New York Papers Who Has Made His Town Famous and Opened Up a Rich News Field Hitherto Neglected", The Editor and Publisher (New York: Editor and Publisher Co.) 10 (26): 21, 24 Dec. 1910, https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=umn.31951001229571r&view=1up&seq=331
- "'THE WINSTED LIAR,' A NEWS-FICTIONIST WHOSE FAME IS IN 'WHOPPERS'", Literary Digest (New York: Funk & Wagnalla Co.) 66 (11): 62, 11 Sept. 1920, https://books.google.com/books?id=iW1FAQAAMAAJ&pg=RA3-PA62
- "The 'Never-Never' Nature Yarns That Made Winsted Famous - With Over-Modest Cows, Bootblack Squirrels, "Wild Man" and Intensely Patriotic Hen, the Late L. T. Stone Put His Home Town on the Map", Fresno Bee: 71, 16 Apr. 1933, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/25886249/
- "United States World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KZFV-86D : 13 March 2018), Louis Timothy Stone, 1917-1918; citing Litchfield County no 19, Connecticut, United States, NARA microfilm publication M1509 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.); FHL microfilm 1,570,490.
- Find A Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com : accessed 24 July 2019), memorial page for Louis Timothy Stone (19 Oct 1875–13 Mar 1933), Find A Grave Memorial no. 127968466, citing Forest View Cemetery, Winsted, Litchfield County, Connecticut, USA ; Maintained by ggramtoby (contributor 47311061).