J. C. Ayer Co.
From Kook Science
J. C. Ayer Co. was a Lowell, Massachusetts patent medicine manufacturer, founded by James Cook Ayer, its namesake, in 1841 as J. C. Ayer & Co. (becoming J. C. Ayer Co. in 1877, and later simply the Ayer Company in 1925, and finally Ayer Co. Inc. in 1939).
Ayer Product Line
- Ayer's Ague Cure, anti-malarial tonic
- Ayer's Cathartic Pills, laxative
- Ayer's Cherry Pectoral, cough medicine
- Ayer's Hair Vigor, hair growth tonic
- Ayer's Sarsaparilla, "blood medicine"
- Ayer's Senopos
Ayer's American Almanac (1853-1925)
The company issued an annual almanac, the bulk of the content being advertisements for its medicinal products, with the remainder of the pages devoted to historical factoids, astrological information, and other items of similar interest.