From Kook Science
|Born||24 August 1840|
Bremen, German Confederation
|Died||27 September 1915 (75)|
Harburg, Hamburg, German Empire
Georg Wilhelm Waltemath (August 24, 1840 - September 27, 1915) was a German freelance writer, editor, and sometime astronomer who claimed to have discovered a second terrestrial during January 1898, and later that year a third moon, the wahrhafter Wetter-und Magnet-Mond (English: "Real Weather and Magnet Moon"), these being part of a larger group of small terrestrial satellites he calculated to exist years earlier. None of Waltemath's observations were confirmed and are not presently accepted to have been correct in conventional astronomical hypotheses; despite this, the second moon was later resurrected by Walter Gorn Old (Sepharial) as his astrological moon Lilith.
- Waltemath, Georg (1891), "Die Entdeckung eines ganzen Suttems von Trabanten unserer Erde" (in German), Der Stein der Weisen: Unterhaltung und Belehrung 21: 65-68, https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=nyp.33433081705729&view=1up&seq=85 — (English: "The Discovery of a Whole Series of Satellites of Our Earth")
- Waltemath, Georg (1908), "Kometen -- oder elektrisch entflammte Dunkel-Planeten?!" (in German), Astronomische Rundschau (Lussinpiccolo, Österreichisch-Ungarische: Manora-Sternwarte) 10: 47-48, https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=osu.32435055022180&view=1up&seq=55 — (English: "Comets -- or Electrically-Inflamed Dark Planets?!")
- "Ein angeblicher zweiter Mond der Erde" (in German), Sirius: Zeitschrift für populäre astronomie 31: 53-55, 1898, https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=chi.73243822&view=1up&seq=71 — (English: "An Alleged Second Moon of the Earth")
- "ANOTHER LUNAR HOAX?" (in English), Nature 57 (1478): 399-400, 24 Feb. 1898, https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=umn.31951p01139828j&view=1up&seq=443
- "Waltemath's Moon-Factory" (in English), Popular Science News: 223, Oct. 1898, https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015086624023&view=1up&seq=309, "Dr. Georg Waltemath, of Hamburg, is insatiable of moons. He has sent us, under the date of July 20th, an announcement of a third moon for the earth. This moon is said to be 427,250 kg. distant and is 746 km. in diameter. It is nearer than Dr. Waltemath's other moon, and is a 'wahrhafter Wetter-und Magnet-Mond.' Perhaps it is also the moon presiding over lunacy. — Science."