Elmer S. Prather
From Kook Science
(Redirected from Elmer Ellsworth Knowles)
|Elmer Sidney Prather|
Portrait photo of Elmer Sidney Prather (1920)
|Born||19 January 1872 |
Beatrice, Gage, Nebraska
|Died||27 April 1939 (67) |
Ozoir-la-Ferrière, Seine-et-Marne, France
|Known for||Knowles Radio-Hypnotic Crystal, "Psycho Success Club", mail-order self-help courses|
|Spouse(s)||Abby Beatrice Giffin (1877)|
Elmer Sidney Prather (January 19, 1872 - September 14, 1877), also known as Professor Elmer Ellsworth Knowles, was an American author, lecturer, and mail-order peddler of correspondence courses and nostrums based on psychic and hypnotic powers, including his Knowles Radio-Hypnotic Crystal.
- Modern Science Publishing Co. [New York] — during which time he promoted a curious South Pacific colony scheme
- Metropolitan Institute of Science [New York]
- National Institute of Sciences [London]
- Progress League
- Psycho Success Club [New York]
- "Professor Elmer E. Knowles' Complete System of Personal Influence and Healing (Six Complete Branches)" (National Institute of Sciences, 1899)
- 1: Complete System of Personal Influence and Healing.
- 2: Personal Magnetism, Personal Influence
- 3: Self Treatment and the Cure of Diseases and Habits by Employing the Radio-Hypnotic Crystal
- 4: Magnetic Healing, Distance Healing, Treatment by Suggestion
- 5: Reading of the Character, including the Science of Physiognomy, Phrenology, and Graphology
- 6: Hindu and Oriental Methods of Hypnotism, Telepathy, Concentration, Magnetic Healing, Magic and Wonders of the East
- "Personal Power: Avenues to Its Acquisition" (Progress League, 1919)
- "United States Passport Applications, 1795-1925," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QV5B-8W6Z : accessed 31 October 2015), Elmer Sidney Prather, 1920; citing Passport Application, New York, United States, source certificate #168202, Passport Applications, January 2, 1906 - March 31, 1925, 1061, NARA microfilm publications M1490 and M1372 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.); FHL microfilm 1,637,676.
- "Estate notice for Elmer S. Prather". The London Gazette (34833): p. 2343. 1940-04-19. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/34833/page/2343/data.pdf.
- "LINCOLN WOMAN TO SHARE IN $560,000 ESTATE NEW YORK". The Lincoln Star (Lincoln, Nebraska): p. 1. 1943-05-13. "A Lincoln. Neb., woman will share a beneficiary in the estate of Elmer S. Prather, a lecturer on telepathy and astrology, known as "Professor Knowles," papers filed in Surrogate court here disclosed. Prather left a gross estate of $560,548 with a net value of $530,744 when he died in France, April 27, 1939. The beneficiaries are his wife, Mrs. A. Beatrice Prather of Rochester, Minn., and his sister, Mrs. Georgia Walker, of Lincoln, Neb."
- "WILL FORM A COLONY ON SOUTH SEA ISLAND - New York Socialist Induces Five Hundred Persons to Go With Him - PLANS FOR REPUBLIC - Entire Party Will Sail From San Francisco Early Next Year", San Francisco Call 103 (13): 4, 1907-12-13, http://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=SFC19071184.108.40.206