Charles W. Caryl
From Kook Science
|Charles W. Caryl|
Photo portrait of Caryl, c. 1897
|Born||12 November 1858|
|Died||27 November 1926 (67)|
Los Angeles, California
|Noted work(s)||New Era (1897)|
Charles Willard Caryl (November 12, 1858 - November 27, 1926) was an American socialist and co-operative activist, a Colorado mine operator and real estate speculator, as well as a Spiritualist and esoteric thinker, notable as the founder and promoter of the New Era Union and the Vril Industrial System, sometimes referred to as the "Vril Society" (or "Vril Cult") in press sources.
- Caryl, C. W. (1896), The New Era: A Play Introducing the Plans for a Grand New Era Model City to be the Most Complete, Wonderful and Grand Permanent Exposition and Emporium for the Entire World; Also Representing the Plans for an Organization to be Called "The New Era Union", Denver, Colo.: The Author
- Caryl, Chas. W. (1897), New Era: Presenting the Plans for The New Era Union to Help Develop and Utilize the Best Resources of This Country; Also to Employ the Best Skill There is Available to Realize the Highest Degree of Prosperity That is Possible For All Who Will Help to Attain It; Based on Practical and Successful Business Methods, Denver, Colo.: New Era Union, https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000281143
- Grant, H. Roger (Winter 1974), "'One Who Dares to Plan': Charles W. Caryl and the New Era Union", Colorado Magazine 51 (1): 13-27, https://www.historycolorado.org/sites/default/files/media/document/2018/ColoradoMagazine_v51n1_Winter1974.pdf
- "CARYL'S MISSION. Believes He Can Avert the Scourge of Cholera.", Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, PA): 5, 28 Apr. 1893, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/168312662/, "In his letter to Walter Vroom, of the University Settlement, Caryl declares that he has received a revelation from God that he is the instrument by which dire calamity throughout the world is to be averted. He speaks of a scourge of cholera which shall try the hearts of the people and a final dissolution of the world. This can be easily obviated, he writes, by following the doctrines he preaches. Caryl writes intelligently on all subjects but this."
- "A GREAT SCHEME. 'New Era Union,' With $10,000,000 Capital, Proposed. TO ENGAGE IN ALL KINDS OF PRODUCTIVE INDUSTRY — CHARLES CARYL, OF DENVER, THE ORIGINATOR, BELIEVES THE PLAN WOULD SOLVE THE LABOR QUESTION.", Standard Union (Brooklyn, NY): 3, 3 Sept. 1897, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/542189930/
- SCHEME OF A DREAMER, Or the Dream of a Schemer, Which is it? Easy Dollars for Degrees is the Whole Thing. Peace, Plenty and Unlimited Power is the Glittering Promise of 'Vril.', Los Angeles, CA, 17 Sep. 1903, p. 11, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/380082341/
- GOLD STAIRS SO MUCH PER. Recruiting in Angel City for a 'Vril' Utopia. Candidates Can Leave Their Coin With Agent Caryl. Those Who Pungle up the Most Offered Best Places in New Jerusalem., Los Angeles, CA, 25 Nov. 1903, p. 13, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/380041793/
- "SUCKERS HERE DO NOT BITE. 'Vril' Industrial Plan Gets the Cold Shoulder. Promoter's Hand is Still Held Out for Your Dollars. Degrees in Ideal City are Set Forth by Lecturer.", Los Angeles Times (Los Angeles, CA): 15, 8 Dec. 1903, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/380047632/, "'What a gathering there will be' at St. Louis next year, providing the dream of the 'Vril' Industrial System dreamers is realized. Though looking forward to a city paved with gold and crystal arched, these optimistic enthusiasts will not march upon the exposition city in golden slippers, but there will be golden dreams a-plenty. And with the first flash of the mysterious 'Vril,' there to be generated by the three philanthropic, though nameless scientists, the great throng of devotees of every kindred, tongue, nation and people will throw up their hands and as one man lift up their voices in announcing the world Elijah III, formerly Charles W. Caryl. But judging from the present outlook that hallelujah throng will not be made up of former residents of the City of Angels. Los Angeles has its share of suckers, but the office of the 'Vril' Industrial System, at No. 416 West Sixth street, has not been besieged with investors. One lone hopeful sat in the lecture-room last evening drinking in the flow of wisdom emanating from the lips of the 'chief promoter.'"
- "FEAR ELECTRICITY WILL NOT COME OUT OF AIR. Well-Known Men of San Francisco Invested $8,568 In A Scheme To Draw Electricity From The Air For Commercial Purposes. Charles W. Caryl, The Promoter Of the Scheme, Is Said To Be In Los Angeles Picking Up Some Money There. Investors in Patent to Harness Lightning Think There Is Little Hope of Getting Back the $8,568 Put Into Scheme.", San Francisco Examiner (San Francisco, CA): 2, 1 Oct. 1904, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/457571809/
- "ASKS ARREST OF C. W. CARYL; J. W. Slade Claims He Is One of the Many Victims of a Co-operative Colony Plan; SCIENCE IS THE BAIT; Projector of Scheme Says That He Is Able to Draw Electricity From the Air", San Francisco Call (San Francisco, CA): 4, 1 Oct. 1904, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/46567404/
- "HIS VICTIMS ARE BLOCKED; Attempt to Recover Coin From Charles W. Caryl Meets With Vague Words and Promises.", San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, CA): 12, 1 Oct. 1904, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/27326973/
- "FAILS TO STATE IF THE AIR MUST BE HOT. Man Who Plans to Get Electricity From Air Is Willing to Face Charge of Running Get-Rich-Quick Concern Here.", San Francisco Examiner (San Francisco, CA): 4, 3 Oct. 1904, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/457580355/
- "POST OFFICE DEPARTMENT IS AFTER CARYL", Berkeley Gazette (Berkeley, CA): 1, 6 Feb. 1912, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/608507498/, "Caryl, who is organizer for the Vril Cult, an 'occult' society patterned after Arthur See's notorious Chicago organization, was arrested by the Post-office Inspector W. I. Madeira and Deputy United States Marshal Elmo Warner yesterday, on an indictment found by the federal grand jury in Denver."