Charles J. Weatherby
From Kook Science
|Charles J. Weatherby|
|Born||17 August 1842|
Bethel, Michigan 
|Died||8 August 1916 (73)|
Houston, Texas 
|Affiliations||Kassidean Knights; Knights of the Ancient Essenic Order|
Charles Jerome Weatherby (August 17, 1842 - August 8, 1916) was an American physician, an insurance broker (who sold fraudulent policies in Missouri and Kansas), and a fraternalist organiser, first as a promoter of the Kassidean Knights and later as founder of the Knights of the Ancient Essenic Order.
- Sergeant, 9th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F (20 April 1861 - 29 July 1861)
- 1st Lieutenant, 109th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company H (10 July 1863 - 17 July 1863)
- District Agent for Iowa Life Insurance Co. (Cedar Rapids, IA), c. 1875
- Secretary of Centennial Mutual Life Association (Burlington, IA), 1876-188(?)
- Physician (Hot Springs, AK), 1879-188(?)
- President of Kaw Life Association (Kansas City, KS), 1883-1887
- Physician (Kansas City, MO), c. 1886
- V.G. Hierophant, Kassidean Knights (Kansas City, MO), c. 1888
- V.G. Hierophant, Kassidean Knights (San Francisco, CA), c. 1890
- V.G. Hierophant, Kassidean Knights (Salt Lake City, UT), c. 1891
- Supreme Ruler of K.A.E.O. (St. Louis, MO), c. 1893
- Supreme Ruler of K.A.E.O. (Louisville, KY), c. 1894
- Supreme Ruler of K.A.E.O. (Biloxi, MI), c. 1896
- Ritual of the Knights of the Ancient Essenic Order (c. 1897)
- McCurdy, Patrick (24 March 2020), When You Find Your Great Grandfather Was Once a Fraud, remotemedic.net, https://remotemedic.net/2020/03/24/when-you-find-your-great-grandfather-was-once-a-fraud/ — a detailed biography of Supreme Ruler Weatherby
- "United States Census, 1850," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MF8Z-2WH : accessed 8 June 2016), Chas J Weatherby in household of Chas Weatherby, Bethel, Branch, Michigan, United States; citing family 110, NARA microfilm publication M432 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).
- "Texas Deaths, 1890-1976," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K349-4B8 : accessed 29 April 2016), Charles J Weatherby, 08 Aug 1916; citing certificate number 12410, State Registrar Office, Austin; FHL microfilm 2,051,689.
- "CURRENT ITEMS: Note on closure of Kaw Life Association.", The Insurance Times (New York: P. Tertius Kempson) 20 (9): 434, September 1887, https://books.google.com/books?id=uidOAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA434, retrieved 2016-05-03, "Superintendent Wilder, of the Missouri Department, has put a stop to the profitable business of two life insurance frauds. They secured, without much trouble, it is said, 15,000 policyholders in the "Kaw Life Association." Occasionally $1,000 was paid on a $5,000 policy, but $1,000 policies were fortunate if they drew $20."
- "KASSIDEAN KNIGHTS.", Twentieth Annual Kansas Insurance Report (Topeka: Kansas Publishing House; Clifford C. Baker, State Printer): 52, 1890, https://books.google.com/books?id=Mrg_AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA52&lpg=PA52, retrieved 2016-05-03, "Dr. Weatherby was driven out of Kansas by rigid enforcement of our laws, but not until he had picked the pockets of thousands of our people. Of all the plundering and shameless combinations to steal under the name of insurance and of law, the Kaw Life Association was the most infamous known in the annals of Kansas. Many a Kansas widow still holds its worthless policy."