From Kook Science
(Redirected from Ascended Master Glo-Ria)
|Born||21 March 1926 |
Los Angeles, California
|Died||3 December 1962 (36) |
|Affiliations||Cosmon Research Foundation|
|Known for||Space Brothers|
|Noted work(s)||"Why We Are Here!"|
|Spouse(s)||William H. Byrd (m. 1952)|
(Stub notes for expansion.)
- Flight attendant, five years
- Married to William H. Byrd, aeronautical engineer, in 1952
- Ground hostess, Los Angeles Int'l Airport
- First psychic contact from J.W. in September 1953
- Founded "Cosmon Research Foundation" in the late-1950s
- Died in Washington, D.C., in December 1962, following a two-month fast
"Ascended Master Glo-Ria"
Following her death, a channel named Nada-Yolanda (Pauline Sharpe) claimed to be receiving messages from Gloria Lee, who, she reported, had become an ascended master called Glo-Ria. The messages, describing "her next-life experiences, what happens and how to adjust to the transition from this plane to the next, man's spiritual nature and heritage, eternal life for everyone, and life on other planes and planets" were published as "Life in Our Solar System" (1963).
- Lee, Gloria; J.W. of Jupiter (1959), Why We Are Here!, Los Angeles, Calif.: DeVorss & Co., https://amzn.to/2qOAgZb
- Lee, Gloria; J.W. of Jupiter (1962), The Changing Conditions of Your World!, Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.: Cosmon Research, https://amzn.to/2p8fvLT
It should be noted that Lee claimed credit for neither of these works, explaining that she was the "Instrument" of J.W.'s authorship. If one is inclined to accept that as true, it may be said that she at least wrote the introductions.
Waiting in Oro Grande (1959)
- Knobloch, Merv (16 Oct. 1959), "'Contactee' Turns Author; REVELATIONS OPEN NEW WORLD FOR R.H. MOM", News-Pilot (San Pedro, CA): 1, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/605706320/
- Jacobs, Bob (25 Nov. 1959), "'COFFEE BREAK CONTACT'; 'Unhappy Planet', Space Man Devotees' Trailers Ordered Out", San Berardino County Sun (San Bernardino, CA): 21, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/57329346/, "ORO GRANDE — County officials yesterday broke up a week-long convention of the 'Cosmon Research Foundation.' Word was that the occupants of the 16 house trailers were about the leave anyway — for outer space. They were just waiting to be picked up by flying saucers."
- Shaw, Kelly (26 Nov. 1959), "J.W. of Jupiter: Outer-Space Directed Group Gets New Word from County", Daily Press (Victorville, CA): 1, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/745940643/
Fasting and Death in Washington, D.C. (1962-'63)
- Emery, Dick (25 July 1962), "IT'S ALL IN THE BOOK: Jupiter Advises Earthlings", Press-Telegram (Long Beach, CA): 21, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/705207286/
- UPI (28 Nov. 1962), "Woman Near Death From 'Space Fast'", Los Angeles Evening Citizen News (Hollywood, CA): 4, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/684277971/, "WASHINGTON (UPI) — A 34-year-old California woman, who reportedly had been fasting for 66 days on the instruction of 'space people,' was rushed to the hospital here today. Police said she was near death when found in a hotel room. The woman, Mrs. Gloria Lee Byrd, was unconscious and suffering from malnutrition and dehydration, doctors said[...] Mrs. Byrd has been sharing a suite at the hotel since September 13 with Mrs. Hedy Hood, 52, of Palos Verdes Estates. Officers said Mrs. Hood was indignant with police for 'ruining a scientific experiment for peace.' She and Mrs. Byrd, who under the name of Gloria Lee has written two books — 'The Changing Conditions of Your World' and 'Why We Are Here' — came to Washington with plans for a space ship, which they hoped to share with officials. Both are leaders in the Cosmon Research Fondation."
- Independent (5 Dec. 1962), "Private Funeral Rites Planned for Self-Starved Space Cultist", Independent (Long Beach, CA): A-12, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/719509347/, "Hospital officials indicate the onetime movie actress died from starvation. They said she may have been in a coma since before Thanksgiving. She never was conscious while in the hospital. Mrs. Byrd, founder of the Cosmon Foundation, had gone to Washington to offer plans to officials for a Jupiter-sponsored spaceship. Mrs. Byrd had said she was on a fast because 'voices from Jupiter' told her to stop eating. 'In view of what has happened,' Byrd said, 'her organization will probably collapse.'"
- Independent (18 Jan. 1963), "Space Cultist Gloria Lee a Victim of Mental Illness", Independent (Long Beach, CA): A-24, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/719490155/, "[William H. Byrd] said he was reluctant to discuss his wife's death because 'I don't want to give ammunition to these people (her space cult followers). I do not wish to do anything to help them.' The psychiatrist, who examined Mrs. Byrd — known as Gloria Lee to members of her cult, Cosmon — reported 'she probably would not respond to treatment,' Byrd said. * * * * BYRD SAID physicians told him his wife's death was caused by a brain hemorrhage. Originally, she was believed to have died of malnutrition following the reported fast in the Hotel Claridge in Washington. Byrd said he had persuaded his wife to consult the psychiatrist in 1959. He said she dropped the consultations after the diagnosis of her paranoia[...] While undergoing her fast in the hotel, Mrs. Byrd was cared for by a companion, Mrs. Hedy Hood. After Mrs. Byrd's death, Mrs. Hood was placed in a Washington hospital for psychiatric observation. She has since been released and is staying with friends in Maryland. Since Mrs. Byrd's death, her followers claim to have been in communication with her through a medium. At the Cosmon headquarters at 235858 Hawthorne Blvd., Torrance, Cosmon executive secretary Mrs. Barbara Steele Thursday said: 'We are in daily contact now with Gloria. We can tune in to her.'"
- "U.S. Social Security Death Index," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JTHV-M66 : accessed 06 Oct 2013), Gloria Byrd, b. 21 March 1926, d. December 1962
- "Woman claims Space People ordered fast", Wilmington Morning Star, 1962-11-29, http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=gEVjAAAAIBAJ&sjid=QHQNAAAAIBAJ&dq=woman%20fasts%2066%20days&pg=3789%2C5535613 — report on the admittance of Gloria Lee, unconscious and extremely malnourished, to George Washington University Hospital
- "Obituary, Gloria Lee", Understanding 8 (1), January 1963, http://danielfry.com/daniels-writings/understanding-newsletter-1963/vol-8-no-1/
- Editorial blurb for "Life in Our Solar System" (thenewearth.org) — "Extraordinary afterlife experiences of New Age channel Gloria Lee (1926-62), known now as ascended master Glo-Ria", first published by Mark-Age Inform-Nations in 1963